A Tragic Tale of Young Epic Romance, Eragon, etc.

by Sumi H. Inkblot

Second Time Around: A Tragic Tale of Young Epic Romance, Eragon, Sharp Scissors and Combustible Objects

It began on the Eve of a Random Date, 2004. I was a young lass then, inexperienced in the dastardly world of love and literature; indeed, back then I thought that Paolini might make a honorable crush.

Those were the glorious days I remember; the days when LEGOs were The Thing In Fashion – and I was the queen of my own locked-in universe, prancing about in short skirts and princess hats, my eyes blazing with the spirit of immature and unconditional love for all that passed under my spotted button-nose.

As it so happens, on the Eve of Random Date, I had come across my mother’s hidden stash of classical CDs, including the nefarious volumes of tango music, Pachelbel’s Canon and Beethoven’s Ninth. Alas, alas, it was not those that caught my eye, but Ravel’s Bolero!

Upon setting it into the unmanageable CD player with kick-butt subwoofers that was my mother’s tragic reminder of the past years, I was at once entranced with the drum-beat and clarinets quietly celebrating with many trills and well-placed octave leaps. And thus I took Ravel’s Bolero and put it into a quiet and hitherto unsuspected cherished corner of my large, prepubescent heart.

And so I lived in silent love towards that petty piece of music, Ravel’s Bolero, and in equal silence cursing the infatuation that kept it in my CD player, keeping away the other CDs vying for my attention. O, how many there were! Harry Potter, Star Wars, Car Talk!

Until, at last, in the year of 2005, Eragon oozed its way into my line of sight. The stoic narrator with the decidedly tolerant tone of voice entranced my ears; I listened to it even more often than Bolero, doing my paltry embroidery by the light of my shaded lamp late into the midnight hours of the evening.

Ah, do not curse me for my childish loves! Let me continue my sad, sad tale.

Unfortunately, in the same year as I mentioned earlier, my dearest sister, Imogene* also fell into feverish love with the Eragon CD set, and we began to have quarrels about which presence the CDs would live in: Mine or hers?

And so we argued, day after day, week after week.

And then disaster struck.

Imogene, in a fit of anger, hid my dear, stupid Bolero, claiming that she had broken his heart sufficiently and sent him away to the monastery of legend where broken CDs and tapes are sent to, never to return to their loves.

And so I became angry, and the Eragon CD went back to the library.

There was not a day that went by that I did not mourn the untimely loss of Bolero, and I prayed daily that its soul may rest in peace, and that its plastic heart may become re-forged into something that could forgive Imogene and I for our childish wars.

Years passed; I developed a taste for Beethoven and Pachelbel. Bolero became a knife in my heart, disturbed only when I remembered its metallic, shiny cover. And still another year passed, and I became infatuated with Simon & Garfunkel and even Tchaikovsky, Bolero fading fast from my collective consciousness.

In the Year of 2007, several things happened that wiped Bolero’s quiet-to-loud strains completely from my still-foolish mind. Our house caught on fire when someone left cork board around, the stupid fool; there was a drought, concerning the fates of my mothers’ precious crop of tomatoes; a flood and severe thunderstorm warnings throughout my expanded universe, and I cut my finger open when trying to slice some grapes, which were not that tasty anyway when I got back from the hospital. My tastes had long since abandoned Eragon as worthy thought to chew on; I had, in a small way, grown up.

Just when I had forgotten Bolero, I opened my bad-quality CD case (bought for a single dollar) and there it was, gleaming up at me! (Though, admittedly, he looked a little worse for wear; what trials had he gone through to come back to me? I don’t think I shall ever know fully; he was never one for unmelodious conversation.)

We had been reunited at long, long last, and now he sits, in my CD player, as the Harry Potter CD will, for some nauseating reason, not play without skipping horribly.

_______________________________

Who thinks I should be killed for writing this? :*sees all the raised hands*: Awwwwwwww....

Okay, anyway, this was mostly true. :) I changed my sister's name to Imogene, it's her favorite name -- on my blog, she is known as "Sister 1." Yes, there is a Bolero CD, yes, it is in my CD player ATM, and yes, Sister 1 hid it after I didn't let her listen to a "Eragon" CD and I found it last week. :roll:

I wrote this with the kind of romantic air I associate with the story "Black Beauty". I was somewhat obsessed with it at the age of seven and read it religiously. The kind of "oh, woe is me, the tragedy I've been through" kind of thing. XD

Also, if you're going to try to critique this, don't bother telling me about Tell vs. Show. XD I don't have a good enough memory for that.

Humor is so hard to write when you don't have a vague idea of what the boundaries are. >.>

~Sumi

Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:51 am
EnchantressMuffin wrote a review...

So I found this when I was browsing through the Contests section, and since I've read a lot of your poetry and, for the most part, liked it, I clicked on the link with a certain amount of, "oh, this'll probably be good!" looping through my head.

It did not disappoint.

Gushing alert.

It was really funny from even the first line, which was one of those quirky, cute lines that make me laugh for no reason whatsoever.

Nothing more constructive to say than that, sorry. :P

Oh! And about the tell-not-show thing... In some circumstances, it can work - hey, if The Lady or the Tiger can - and I think this was one of those.

So, good job. Hope it wins. :D

Peace, love, chocolate,
Muffin

Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:26 pm
ArtLuvr19 wrote a review...

Ha! This was funny! Being the idiot I am, I don't have any constructive criticism except for the fact that I liked it. I will admit that I'm surprised you liked 'Eragon' that much. XD I read that book once. I didn't really like it. Woah, I'm rambling again. Pay no attention to the twelve-year-old behing the curtain!

Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:26 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

little tin fish wrote:I think I was more shocked about the fact your house caught on fire O_o

I found this quite funny, it's stuffed with Sumi-humour. I would pick out certain points, but then I realised that would be a lot of it XD It's funny, but without seeming to try to be funny.

Yup! Late January, early February. Some sparks got onto some corkwood underneath the fireplace, we called in the fire 'partment, all that shniz. In a perverse sort of way, it was funny. It wasn't a serious threat, just unnerving. ^_^

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:00 pm
Aet Lindling says...

Sumi H. Inkblot wrote::snrt: No way, Aet!

...was he stuck up or anything? xD

Well, duh. Not that I thought so at the time, though.

Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:33 pm
tinny wrote a review...

I think I was more shocked about the fact your house caught on fire O_o

I'm just rambling now.

*leaves before she makes an even bigger fool of herself*

Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:08 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Aet Lindling wrote:Yes, she did. I have a confession-- I did too. Saw Paolini and got Eldest signed, too. I just may read Empire (my guess on what it'll most likely be called, six letters, begins with E and it has to do with the trilogy) for the sake of my old, childish tastes.

:snrt: No way, Aet!

...was he stuck up or anything? xD

Yeah, Twit, I loved it when I heard it read. :/audiobook freak: But when I read it after reading some of the YWS'ers comments, I realized how purple the entire series was and the bad characterization. XD

Thanks for the comments! I haven't seen anyone elses' entries, but I doubt this'll get very high.xD

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:32 am
Aet Lindling wrote a review...

Yes, she did. I have a confession-- I did too. Saw Paolini and got Eldest signed, too. I just may read Empire (my guess on what it'll most likely be called, six letters, begins with E and it has to do with the trilogy) for the sake of my old, childish tastes.

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:25 am
Twit says...

Hillarious! ... and I know that's not helpful. But it was! You LIKED Eragon? Seriously? Without sarcasm? That much?

She Writes says...

=) Oh my gosh, this is great! xD

Let the wild rumpus start!
— Maurice Sendak